When I was young there was a commercial that said“Everything is better with cheese.” and I were sure they were right! However I have chosen not to eat regular dairy cheese for a lot of reasons… but that does not mean I can’t enjoy a good drizzile of cheese sauce on everything. So for those of you who have chosen a vegan lifestyle and those who are allergic to dairy this is for you. Melty cheeze made with nuts, I use it on potatoes, broccoli, add a little tomato and green chili for a great chip dip.
So once again, you can say “Everything is better with cheeze!”
- 3 cups water, divided
- ½ cup roasted red pepper or pimento
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ½ tablespoon salt
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast flakes
- ¼ cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 ½ teaspoons onion powder
1. Place 2 cups water and remaining ingredients in a blender; blend until very smooth. Pour into a medium saucepan.
2. Add remaining 1 cup of water to blender; blend briefly to clean out.
3. Pour into saucepan. Cook over medium heat until thick,stirring constantly.
TIP: If you want to make your sauce extra creamy add a boiled red potato to the blender.
You can watch a video of how to make the cheese here.