This chipotle flavored Vegan Queso Recipe is the perfect addition to vegan nachos or tacos. It is the the perfect combination of rich and creamy, spicy and smokey. The funny thing is it started out as a kitchen disaster and turned into a great discovery!
It was Mexican day at Emmanuel Institute and I was making my regular vegan queso recipe with a white vegan cheese and chopped jalapeños, which by the way is very good. But this time I was in a hurry and turned the heat up too high and slightly burned the cheese sauce. It was not so burnt that it had to thrown away but it defiantly had a smokey flavor. I didn’t have time to make more cheese sauce the students would be arrive in just minutes.
All of the sudden I had a thought! Chipotle! it has a nice smoky flavor, maybe if I add some to this sauce it could make it into an amazing vegan queso. I was right! the students nearly drank the cheese sauce they loved it so much, not a drop was left! I have made the chipotle sauce many times since, of course I don’t burn it first. I suppose it is true many great recipes are invented by accident.
- ¾ cup cashew nuts
- 4 cups water, divided
- ¾ cup shredded cheese substitute
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (optional)
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Chipotle pepper to taste
- Using a blender, blend cashews and 2 cups of water until very, very smooth, this will take several minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the two cups of water, and blend again. Pour into a medium sized saucepan.
- Add remaining 2 cups of water to blender and blend briefly, pour into pan with cashew mixture.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until it comes to a boil and thickens.
- Remove from heat, add pasta and stir together.
Serve as is, or place in a casserole dish and bake at 350˚ for 30 minutes.