I never would have guessed it! I started blogging exactly one year ago today because everyone told me I should. Now I have been blogging for a whole year and have made lots of new friends. To celebrate I am working on some exciting new updates for the blog that will be coming soon.
In the mean time lets cook something…How about a toasted cheese sandwich, or maybe a pizza. Oooo what if we make a cross between the two? We can use a whole grain English muffin for the crust and a healthy cashew cheese…. we will call it a Melty Muffin. I make these a lot for my kids and for the students at Emmanuel everyone loves them.
If you have left over Melty Cheese try it on vegetables, or you can add salsa for a nice dip. You can really use it for anything you might use a cheese sauce for…remember (cashew) cheese make everything better; )
2 cups Melty Cheeze (below)
1 cup onion, diced
¾ cup black or green olives, chopped
1 can (4 ounces) mild green chilies, chopped
¼ cup pimentos or fresh red pepper, chopped
12 whole grain English muffins, split
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Pour Melty Cheeze into a medium bowl. Add onions, olives, Chilies, and pimentos; stir well.
- Place English muffins on a large baking sheet; spread about 2 tablespoons of the cheese mixture onto each muffin.
- Bake 10 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and muffins are crispy around the edges.
3 cups water, divided
1/2 cup roasted red pepper or pimento
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup raw cashews
1/2 tablespoon salt
1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- Place 2 cups water and remaining ingredients in a blender; blend until very smooth. Pour into a medium saucepan.
- Add remaining 1 cup of water to blender; blend briefly to clean out. Add to saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat until thick, stirring constantly.
Makes 4 cups.
TIP: Blend 4 or 5 minutes the cashews should be completely smooth and creamy.
Use the leftovers on broccoli, baked potatoes, nachos…you get the idea!
We posted a video of us making the cheese on 3ABN here.