I just finished cooking for an Emmanuel Institute 10-day class. We served two healthy vegan meals every day—breakfast at 8:00 am and lunch at 2:00 pm. It is so fun cooking for the students because not many are vegan at home and they are very worried when they arrive that I will be feeding them cardboard. They are always shocked at how much they love the food and start to worry that they may gain weight while at Emmanuel.
We make oatmeal every morning to go with whatever we are having for breakfast. Unfortunately we always have some leftover and it usually goes to waste. I hate to waste food. So I was racking my brain to figure out what creative way I could use leftover oatmeal. Then it hit me! Oatmeal Bread from Kidlicious. I should have thought of it sooner.
The bread comes out so good and soft and it is so easy even a kid can make it! So we started making five loaves of bread almost every morning. Wow, did the students LOVE it!
- 2 cups Luke warm
- 1 cup oatmeal, cooked
- ¼ cup oil
- ½ cup honey, cane juice crystals, or other sweetener
- ½ tablespoon salt
- ½ tablespoon lecithin granules
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 5-6 cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup gluten flour
- 1½ tablespoons instant active dry yeast
- Measure all ingredients, except 2 cups of the flour, into the bowl of a mixer that has a dough attachment.
- Start mixer on the lowest speed and allow to mix for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Gradually add in the additional flour as needed until the dough pulls away from the bottom and sides of the bowl. The dough should be soft and a bit sticky.
- Allow to knead for 7 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 350˚ and prepare pans by spraying with non-stick cooking spray.
- Put a little flour on your counter top to keep the dough from sticking. Place dough on floured counter top and divide into 3 equal portions.
- Make each lump of dough into a ball and allow to rest on the counter for 15 minutes.
- Shape dough into two regular loaves or make Scripture Surprise Bread as a gift.
- Cover the loaves with a damp or slightly wet dishtowel and let sit on the counter until dough doubles in size, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, remove from oven and place on cooling rack until cooled.
In the Kidlicious book we show you how to make it into secret surprise bread! I can’t tell you what makes it a secret surprise right now but, I’ll post a “how-to” in a couple of days.