This month’s Meatless Monday Supper Club was a load of fun. We talked about the slow cooker and shared some creative new recipes. One of the recipes was for a quick and easy chili that we could dress up and use lots of ways. I posted that recipe here.
So here are some more ideas to dress up that chili from last week. First of all a chili buffet is a great way to feed a crowd. You can serve it with all sorts of toppings and people can mix it up however they like. For example you can serve it with baked potatoes and all the fixn’s like we did here. Or you could serve it with corn chips and taco toppings and call it a taco salad or a haystack like we did here. You can also serve it with spaghetti noodles, green onions, Melty Cheese, non-dairy sour cream. Throw in a big batch of Corndog Muffins and a beautiful green salad and you will have a meal anyone will be happy to eat.
Everyone makes corn bread with chili but not everyone makes Corndog Muffins. They are super easy to make and very inexpensive compared to the frozen kind from the grocery store, not to mention a yummy way to get a vegan corn dog. The kids will love to make them and eat them, guaranteed!
Vegan Corndog Muffins (AKA Hush Doggies)
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or ½ cup whole wheat flour and ½ cup white flour)
- ¾ cup corn meal
- ¼ cup cane juice crystals or sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Wet ingredients
- 1 cup soy milk
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 5 vegetarian hotdogs, cut into 7 pieces each
1. Preheat oven to 350˚ and prepare mini-muffin tins by spraying with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Mix the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl.
3. Add wet ingredients and stir together to make a thick batter.
4. Fill 36 mini-muffin tins about ¾ full with cornbread batter.
5. Add a slice of hot dog into each muffin. Don’t try to cover them up, the batter will rise over the hot dog and make a cute dimple.
6. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes.
Makes 36 bites
TIP: If you don’t have mini muffin tins you can make 8 large muffins and just add 4 slices of hotdog to each muffin. Bake 25 to 30 minutes.