Monday we had our Fresh From the Garden Cooking School. We had a great turn out, despite the near tornado strength storm that went through our area leaving one of my helpers with a tree through the garage, another with a tree on a truck, a third with trees down all over her road so she could hardly get home and the whole town without power (even the stores were closed). One of the recipes we demonstrated was a great way to use up extra Zucchini that the kids just LOVE. I got the recipe from a friend who got it from a friend. I believe the originator of the recipe is Jennifer Calvelage, a pastors wife right here in Michigan.
I am sure she won’t mind if I share the recipe with you.
- 4-1/2 cups grated zucchini
- 2-1/2-3 cups quick oats
- 1 cup cashew bits
- 5 tablespoon chicken style seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup gluten flour
- 3 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 1-2 medium onions, chopped fine
- Prepare a baking sheet by spraying with non-stick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. (If more moisture is needed, you can add a little olive oil. If it needs to be drier, add more oats.)
- Shape into burger-shaped patties and place on cookie sheet. Bake for 20 minutes on one side. Spray the burgers then flip them over and bake for 15 minutes on the other side.
Makes 16 burgers.
Make Extra!- They can be frozen and reheated.