I finally did it! last year for Christmas my mother gave me a pasta maker for Christmas. I must have been some what intimidated by it because it took me 8 months to get the thing out and actually make pasta! And really it wasn’t as hard as I thought. I watched a few videos and enlisted the help of my 9 year old daughter.
Okay, we watched a lot of videos. One important thing we learned was the folding the pasta and putting it back through the machine several times…we always folded ours in thirds.
When filling the ravioli we learned a few things. First, don’t make your ravioli sheets too long, they are difficult to handle. Second don’t wait to long after you roll the dough out to fill it. The dough gets dry and is hard to stuff.
We watched a cool video of someone who had a ravioli attachment for their pasta machine, but I couldn’t find it again to share it with you. Sorry. We made half-circle ravioli by using a large round cookie cutter, filling half of the dough and folding it over, using a little water on the edge like she did in the video, then we cooked ’em.
Way easier than I ever thought possible, and so good. We immediately started thing of how many ways we can use this thing to make more raviolis and if we got that ravioli attachment we would be unstoppable. However, reality has now set in and I now realize that making ravioli is not going to be a daily or even weekly event in our house but we will be making them again soon!
I used the vegan pasta recipe from the Vegan Dad and my homemade Tofu Ricotta and added a few sauteed mushrooms.
- 2 packages (14 ounces) water-packed tofu, firm or extra-firm
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen spinach, thawed and drained (optional)
- 1 cup soy sour cream or soy mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup cane juice crystals or other sweetener
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Drain excess water from tofu.
- Mash tofu in a large bowl with a potato masher or your hands.
- Add remaining ingredients to tofu; mix well. Add additional salt or sweetener if needed.