This month’s recipe Redux is breakfast. So we are all redoing breakfast favorites and making them healthier. The one favorite breakfast food that could use a healthy Redux is sausage gravy.
I made a creamy Nut Gravy out of Brazil Nuts…yes, you read that right, Brazil Nuts. Those big nuts that always get left in the bottom of the mixed nut can!
We all know that nuts are good healthy fats, but did you know that eating a small handful of nuts each day can add two years to your life! Brazil nuts are also loaded with selenium which is supposed to also help fight cancer.
So… I guess you are wondering how I made sausage gravy out of Brazil nuts. It’s actually easier than you might think. You just throw everything in the blender and blend like crazy! The trick is blending it long enough that it is silky smooth.
I like to add a little crumbled vegetarian sausage when it is cooked and serve it over whole grain toast with a colorful fruit salad! It reminds me of good old biscuits and gravy that I ate when I was a kid at the ‘Golden Kettle’.
- 2 1/2 cups water, divided
- 1/2 cup Brazil nuts
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 ½ tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 3/4 tablespoon Braggs Liquid Aminos or low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoons beef style seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup vegetarian sausage crumbles (optional)
- Place 2 1/2 cups water and all remaining ingredients in blender.
- Blend on high until very smooth and creamy, about 4 or 5 minutes; transfer to a medium saucepan.
- Add remaining 2 1/2 cups water to blender; blend briefly to clean out the blender. Transfer to saucepan with nut mixture.
- Cook on medium heat until thick and creamy, stirring constantly to prevent burning.
- Add optional Scrambled Tofu or sausage crumbles and stir.
Makes 8 servings.